This page is a work in progress. Check back soon for more resources to develop your leadership skills and competencies as well as news about the next Leadership Institute. In the meantime here are some resources we currently offer or can suggest for leadership development:
- Book Review: Redesigning Leadership by John Maeda
- Virtual Tool for Leadership Development: “Management Challenge” – an online simulation based leadership development program
- Leadership Landing – An Innovative Leadership Development Resource
- 28 Leadership Core Competencies from the USDA
- Big Dog’s Leadership Page – This site provides a wealth of leadership resources, including interactive activities that can be used in classes regarding Leadership.
Mobile Applications for Leadership Development
We are now reviewing mobile applications on a variety of topic of interest to our stakeholders, including leadership development. Click here and scroll down to see one about “MindTools” a resource for new and mid-level leaders.
Videos to Encourage Discussion
Special thanks to volunteer Jamila Harris for finding all these great videos for us.
Leadership & Team Building: Delegation Skills & Techniques – Dale Carnegie Training
Leadership & Team Building: Managing Aggressive Meeting Attendees – Dale Carnegie Training
Leadership & Team Building: Importance of Delegation – Dale Carnegie Training
Leadership & Team Building: The Wrong Way to Coach – Dale Carnegie Training
FranklinCovey’s The 7 Habits Video Preview: Big Rocks
The Biggest Mistake a Leader Can Make
Competent Leader – Steve Jobs
Leadership & Team Building – Holding Others Accountable – Dale Carnegie Training
Leadership & Team Building: Dealing With Non-Performance – Dale Carnegie Training
Leadership & Team Building: Disagreeing Agreeably – Dale Carnegie Training
Forbes interviews Stephen Covey on Trust
Harvard Professor Linda Hill- Leaders must be Game Changers
Stephen M R Covey speaks to European Executives at IMD the Harvard of Europe
Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action
Simon Sinek presents a simple but powerful model for how leaders inspire action, starting with a golden circle and the question “Why?” His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers — and as a counterpoint Tivo, which (until a recent court victory that tripled its stock price) appeared to be struggling.
YouTube Leadership Training – Active Listening
A nice short demonstration of active listening, which is the skill of reflecting back the meanings and feelings of group members in order to test out the leader’s understanding of their messages (empathic listening). Carl Rogers referred to it as “reflection of feelings.”
YouTube: How Can Managers Give Effective Feedback?
An animation illustrating the importance of appropriate feedback. It shows 3 scenarios: 2 inappropriate/ineffective and 1 motivating feedback technique. It demonstrates how leaders can lead much more effectively by empowering employees through proper feedback.
A Guide to Effective Communcation
A short amusing animation to trigger discussion on the importance of precise communication.
Listen to Those You Lead
Bestselling author and Stanford professor Bob Sutton offers insights from his book, Good Boss, Bad Boss. Two important points: 1) Individuals in a position of authority will be under intense scrutiny from those they manage; and 2) Leaders receive disproportionally more blame and more credit for organizational performance. Click here to view it.
General Questions about Leadership by Sara Kima
1. What is the role of a leader?
2. What makes a great leader
3. What would make you follow one leader over another
4. Who are some leaders in your industry, why do you consider leaders?
5. Name some 21st century leaders and what make them and leader?
6. Was mother Theresa a great leader and what made her great?
7. Do you consider yourself a leader, if so why or why not?
8. What kinds of leaders would you like to see in your industry?
9. Is leadership innate or learned?
10. How can leaders be developed?
11. What is the difference between a good leader and a great leader?